New Forums - What to add...

First Post
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

So if you miss something from the old forums let me know so I can add it/make it work.  Since I wrote the software I can make it do anything you want it to - even make you breakfast in the morning.

I'm working on getting the signatures and quoting back as priority #1.

DJ

DJ Brynteson
Robbinsdale Cooper Debate
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

January 2, 2008 at 12:16 PM · · · ·
Follow-up
Dave Bratt

Could you do something like make it so you can access the site by going to forums.mdta.org instead of clicking through?

January 4, 2008 at 3:14 AM · · · ·
Logan Chin
m_2674.jpg

Bookmarking solves, unless you consider the forums an element of bookmark clutter.

January 4, 2008 at 6:01 PM · · · ·
Dave Bratt

For those who don't browse with a mouse, hitting F6 and typing is much more efficient than hitting alt+b and finding the bookmark b/c firefox only gives you one key for you next move and this causes problems when you have multiple bookmarks with the same first letter (such as the default "Music"). I don't have a good reason to check this site often enough to justify moving the bookmark to my start menu so I would only be Windows Key+M (of which M is already in use any way).

DJ, if it is possible to get the forums.mdta.org functionality that would be awesome.

January 5, 2008 at 12:18 PM · · · ·
Steven Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

DJ:

Could you please add a separate forum for MDTA members only, in which access is restricted to only MDTA members?

Steve

Steven J. Fetzik SFHS Debate

January 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM · · · ·
Peter Nikolai
m_2634.jpg

I don't see any reason to do that.  Requiring registration should be a sufficient check on spam.  Maybe you could add a verification code to prevent automated programs from posting.

January 11, 2008 at 2:23 PM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Pete - I think Steve is asking for a coaches' only forum as opposed to a MDTA Members only forum.  Or maybe I'm wrong on that.  I will need to ask the powers that be and see what they think about that one.

DJ

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

January 12, 2008 at 8:27 AM · · · ·
Kate Baxter-Kauf

One thing that i think would really add to the forums, but might be a total pain in the butt to do, is to import the archives from the other forums so that they could be searched on this forum.  I know that, for me, i look up old information all the time and use past discussions to inform current info.  There's some spam that might have to be deleted, but I think it would be a good way to maintain the good conversations of the past few years while protecting future content.

Katie

January 12, 2008 at 12:16 PM · · · ·
Steven Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

Pete:

As an organization, I think it would be appropriate to have an organization-only discussion board for paid members to use.  Consider it a coaches-only board if you like, but there are sometimes discussions that occur where you don't want students or outsiders to view or be a participant.

Steve

January 14, 2008 at 11:26 AM · · · ·
Peter Nikolai
m_2634.jpg

Like what?  What discussion topic would be too hot for "outsiders" or students who don't want to pay for MDTA memebership, but still want to be informed or participate in an internet discussion?

January 15, 2008 at 10:47 AM · · · ·
Steven Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

Pete:  It's nice that DJ & Co. are offering a new site for debate discussions, but I don't think that students and non-MDTA members need to be involved in every discussion we have.  It's only $15 per year, so coaches can't cry about the price.  As a paying MDTA member, I don't think it's unreasonable to request an MDTA-only discussion board, and I'm wondering what disadvantages you forsee about having a members-only site?

I also think there are topics where I don't feel comfortable discussing professional topics with students.  Things like coaching ethics, policy issues, and  other coach-related topics don't need the prying eyes of students or non-members.  Personally, I would participate more on an MDTA forum than a public one, if both were offered.

Of course, if you don't want to participate in the MDTA-only site, you don't have to.  Plus, students and non-paying coaches would still have the option of participating on the free site.

January 15, 2008 at 11:33 AM · · · ·
Rob Thompson

Fetzik said:

I also think there are topics where I don't feel comfortable discussing professional topics with students.  Things like coaching ethics, policy issues, and  other coach-related topics don't need the prying eyes of students or non-members.  Personally, I would participate more on an MDTA forum than a public one, if both were offered.

a) coaching ethics? what, like should coaches have the ability to share flows with their debaters... I don't think we ever really got into a discussion on the old forums regarding "coaching ethics". Even if that did end up happening, why would it be a horrible thing for students to read or participate in that discussion. Inevitably, some of those students will end up coaching, so wouldn't it be beneficial for them to read and learn about "coaching ethics". 

b) policy issues? (Cross Apply above)

Why are you so afraid of others reading your opinion on certain issues that you would feel more comfortable on a private forum.

If you can't tell, I don't think a private forum is necessary. The reason we had a forum in the first place was for open access to discuss issues/topics in the debate (and larger) community. Closing off access to students or poor coaches limits their ability to participate in such a discourse. (and its ageist and classist!)

by the way...I wasn't serious about the "-ists"

January 16, 2008 at 3:02 AM · · · ·
Rob Thompson

Also, DJ:

It would be nice to have the ability to quote a previous post... even though "copy and paste" works just fine

January 16, 2008 at 3:03 AM · · · ·
Steven Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

Why go to the store when the milk is free?

One way to promote membership is to have benefits; giving everything away provides no incentive to join MDTA. A professional, members-only discussion board allows coaches, educators, and other professionals an opportunity to discuss items without the prying eyes of students and non-members.

This discussion is a good example: why do non-members have a unique need to be a part of this discourse?  If the issue is the network policy of MDTA, then it seems rational that only MDTA members should be privy to the discussion.

No one has really given me a reasonable response to why two discussion boards cannot coexist, nor why a professional organization should not have its own member-only board.

Finally, anyone with an ounce of literacy would know that I do not shy away from advocating my positions.  I guess I sometimes just like to do it with my professional peers.

January 16, 2008 at 1:28 PM · · · ·
Rob Thompson

Fetzik said:

why do non-members have a unique need to be a part of this discourse?  If the issue is the network policy of MDTA, then it seems rational that only MDTA members should be privy to the discussion.

My answer: because it effects them too. Why is it a negative thing for non-paying members to add another perspective?

January 16, 2008 at 7:01 PM · · · ·
Nathan Wodarz

It would also be nice to have an ability to use html, or at least to post working links.

January 20, 2008 at 1:57 PM · · · ·
Mike Worcester
m_2660.jpg

As someone who is mostly involved with speech and congress, not debate, I found the postings at the other site informative and enjoyable.  It helped me keep up with what was going on in the forensics world, even it it did not directly impact me.  There were many of us who read and/or posted on that former site who I imagine have moved over here.  Now, I am not an MDTA memeber (MSCA, yes) and it would be nice if MSCA had something similar, but they do not.

So here is my question: If someone begins a speech or congress thread on this forum, will that be a concern to anyone?  For instance, the Northern Lights speech quals will be in early March, and it is likely someone will post the results on here as it will reach a wide audience.  The Southern and Central quals congress meets are scheduled for early March (or is it late Feb?), and it would be fun to see who advanced from those districts.

Just wondering.  Thanks for listening.

Mike

January 21, 2008 at 4:12 PM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

The forum is open to debate/speech/congress etc.  The forum is simply hosted on the MDTA site for the sake of ease and to increase traffic to the MDTA site.

DJ

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

January 21, 2008 at 6:29 PM · · · ·
Cassandra Bonitto

One argument that I might have against the need for a members only board would be that there are adults who are involved in the debate community that aren't coaches.  I know plenty of jduges (myself being one of them) who would contend that they probably have valuable input in discussions about policy and ethics that would add to a discussion, but don't coach.

Another agument is that sometimes people leave the area (example myself in iowa) And could be coaching, and don't want to leave the minnesota debate community and have productive things to add to discussions.  But not coaching in minnesota would exclude them from joining in the discussion

I guess what I'm saying is, not all "prying eyes" are students or nonmembers.  I am neither but couldn't join in a discussion in a "hidden forum"

On an unrelated to that note, I think that in the calender section, they should list speech and congress tournaments in Minnesota too.  Seems like the people who use these forums would like to know that as well.

January 28, 2008 at 3:16 PM · · · ·
Kate Baxter-Kauf

Is it possible to make it so that posts can be edited after they are written?  Some of us get a little neurotic about our chronic problem with re-using words in few paragraphs.

Katie

January 29, 2008 at 10:45 PM · · · ·
Rob Thompson

I second Katie's suggestion.

January 30, 2008 at 9:01 AM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Quote: Kate Baxter-Kauf

Is it possible to make it so that posts can be edited after they are written?  Some of us get a little neurotic about our chronic problem with re-using words in few paragraphs.

You can edit any message other than the first post and yes I know that is stupid.  Working on that next.  Quotes and signature are back.

DJ

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

January 30, 2008 at 8:49 PM · · · ·
  Another thing - when the last posted message is the first one on the second page (20th, in this topic's case, Rob Thompson's post), it shows as being the newest post in the thread listing, but when you click on the thread, you can only see page one - with no option to go to the second page and read the 20th post.

January 30, 2008 at 9:04 PM · · · ·
Rohan Sadagopal
m_2640.jpg

Not sure if it's just me, but I am unable to look at the archives within this new forum. When I click the "older posts" button from the forums main page, I get an error message.

January 30, 2008 at 10:58 PM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Quote: Rohan Sadagopal

Not sure if it's just me, but I am unable to look at the archives within this new forum. When I click the "older posts" button from the forums main page, I get an error message.

Rohan - it wasn't just you.  But its fixed now.

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

January 31, 2008 at 7:52 AM · · · ·
Cassandra Bonitto

I would like to be able to change personal information.  I filled out the form stating that my first name is Cassandra, which it is, but having people call me that is weird.  So, I'd like to change it to being called Mia.

Is that possible?

February 11, 2008 at 10:59 PM · · · ·
Ryan Ricard
m_2656.jpg

DJ I can't get my avatar to work. Is there a file size/picture dimensions requirement?

February 11, 2008 at 11:56 PM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Quote: Ryan Ricard

DJ I can't get my avatar to work. Is there a file size/picture dimensions requirement?

Ryan - e-mail me your avatar so I can see why its not uploading.  It is suppose to automatically scale it down if its to big.  rbrynteson -at- brynteson.info

Quote: Mia

I would like to be able to change personal information.  I filled out the form stating that my first name is Cassandra, which it is, but having people call me that is weird.  So, I'd like to change it to being called Mia.

Is that possible?

I have manually changed your name.  I wonder why I didn't let people change their name?  I will have to go back and look at my notes.  Of course if everyone just went by their given name...

Richard...err, I mean DJ  :-)

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

February 12, 2008 at 6:51 AM · · · ·
Ryan Ricard
m_2656.jpg

I figured it out. Forum doesn't like PNGs.

So I guess now my feature request is either to add support for .png or throw up an error message or something if I try to upload one, or just tell us on the avatar widget what formats are supported.

Thanks, great job bythby.

February 12, 2008 at 9:43 AM · · · ·
Steven Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

Please add the following terms to the site's spell check:  extemp, TOC, LD

February 29, 2008 at 11:32 AM · · · ·
Ryan Ricard
m_2656.jpg

DJ - When I log in from the "home" page, it logs in just fine. But if I click "Forums" and then try to log in, the log in fails and the forums page just re-loads (with the same blank login box).

This happen for anyone else?

April 23, 2008 at 9:26 AM · · · ·
Michael Bietz

rss feed?

May 13, 2008 at 12:07 AM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Quote: Michael Bietz

rss feed?

Done.  Let me know if it works for you.  I tested it out on my end and everything seemed to work as planned.  Click the big RSS button on the top and choose your favorite RSS reader.

If you don't know what RSS is or want more info please feel free to ask.  If you have any problems let me know and I'll fix them up.

DJ

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

July 22, 2008 at 9:31 PM · · · ·
Steven Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

Could we update the home page to include the date, time, and location membership of the fall meeting?  Thanks.

September 1, 2008 at 9:06 AM · · · ·
Chris McDonald

Steve the information pertaining to the upcoming MDTA Meetings is right on the home page. It is in a box in the upper right hand corner of the home page marked upcoming events.

Chris

September 1, 2008 at 9:19 AM · · · ·
Steven Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

I see that, Chris.  I was just hoping we could replace the Oct. 2007 info with more prominent information and links about the meeting.

September 1, 2008 at 12:19 PM · · · ·
Peter Swanson

Also, can the novice case limits be put on the homepage?

-Peter Swanson

Ascension Academy

September 1, 2008 at 6:09 PM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Quote: Peter Swanson

Also, can the novice case limits be put on the homepage?

-Peter Swanson

Ascension Academy

Done (actually twice - accidently deleted the thread and it's back).

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

September 1, 2008 at 10:21 PM · · · ·
Arif Hasan

Could there be auto-hyperlinking?  Things formatted like http://... or some other way for the forum to recognize links?

Obviously not a big deal, but it's kind of cool.

September 2, 2008 at 6:27 PM · · · ·
Ryan Ricard
m_2656.jpg

This post is me engaging in a benevolent attempt to test the security of this site

September 5, 2008 at 4:08 PM · · · ·
Steven Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

Could we please eliminate the automatic double

spacing

when you

hit

return?

Or tell me how to turn it off?

September 7, 2008 at 8:00 PM · · · ·
Nathan Wodarz

Quote: Steven Fetzik

Could we please eliminate the automatic double

spacing

when you

hit

return?

Or tell me how to turn it off?

Hit <shift> and <return> simultaneously
to get single spacing

September 7, 2008 at 9:55 PM · · · ·
Nathan Wodarz

DJ,

The front page is failing to display correctly with IE 7.0 and Vista. The comments are showing:

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1.       <!--[endif]-->Membership

<!--[if !supportLists]-->a.       <!--[endif]-->Review and update our membership database

<!--[if !supportLists]-->b.      <!--[endif]-->Discuss outreach efforts to increase our membership

September 27, 2008 at 10:46 AM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Stupid MS Word can't copy and paste HTML correctly.

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

September 27, 2008 at 3:01 PM · · · ·
Steven Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

Is there a link to the minutes/decisions of the 2008 fall meeting to the website?  if not, please add one.

September 30, 2008 at 11:01 AM · · · ·
Steven Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

Please add MDTA to the spell check.

October 9, 2008 at 7:07 AM · · · ·
Kate Baxter-Kauf

Is there a way to archive the past tournament invitations?  Sometimes I need to go back and find something to know where to send a check to, and it's hard that they all disappear the moment the tournament is over.

Katie

October 9, 2008 at 10:20 PM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Quote: Kate Baxter-Kauf

Is there a way to archive the past tournament invitations?  Sometimes I need to go back and find something to know where to send a check to, and it's hard that they all disappear the moment the tournament is over.

Katie

Katie, I have added a link to the results page at the top that brings you to the full monthly calendar.  There you can go forward and backwards and find any calendar event.

Thanks,

DJ

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

October 10, 2008 at 6:47 AM · · · ·
Peter Nikolai
m_2634.jpg

I wouldn't mind the ability to post messages using the Safari browser on my iphone. 

January 10, 2009 at 6:54 AM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Quote: Peter Nikolai

I wouldn't mind the ability to post messages using the Safari browser on my iphone. 

You and me both.  The problem is Apple iPhone Safari doesn't understand the iFrame command that the text box is using so you cannot click inside of it.  Previous software updates it didn't even show the text box.  I do have a plan to make this work but its going to take some time to pull it off.

DJ

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

January 10, 2009 at 7:56 AM · · · ·
Yatesh Singh

With the addition of the Extemp area at the top, maybe resurrect Doobs' practice questions of the week there?

January 28, 2009 at 11:21 PM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Quote: Yatesh Singh

With the addition of the Extemp area at the top, maybe resurrect Doobs' practice questions of the week there?

He is the one who asked me to put it there.  I'll check with him on adding questions.  Sure he is just busy with the NFL tournament this week.

DJ

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

January 29, 2009 at 6:43 AM · · · ·
Chris McDonald

My plan is to make the Extemp Speaking area of this website a full service place to go for Extemp Speaking help including weekly practice questions, a frequently asked questions section and teaching aids. Right now I have been busy figuring out all of the ins and outs of the Joy of Tournaments software for running this weekend's district debate tournament. It is my hope to have some stuff posted early next week.

Thanks,
Chris

January 29, 2009 at 7:37 AM · · · ·
Nathan Wodarz

I'm getting errors when I try to use the search function.

July 18, 2009 at 4:10 PM · · · ·
Ryan Ricard
m_2656.jpg

Quote: Nathan Wodarz

Me too. 

August 18, 2009 at 8:57 AM · · · ·
Rohan Sadagopal
m_2640.jpg

Quote: Nathan Wodarz

I also get an error when I tried to pay the membership fees....

August 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM · · · ·
Steven Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

When I click on the 2 year membership ($40) it wants to charge me $60.  What gives? 

Is this part of the MDTA's debate stimulus package?  Is MDTA mandated health coverage next?  :)

September 9, 2009 at 8:18 AM · · · ·
Arif Hasan

Minor issue:

When I log into the site via the forum, it redirects me to the main page.  Sometimes, I have some terrible internet, and this adds actual time to my browsing.  Also, it's a little annoying to click back into the forum.

Also, is there a way to fix the search function?

August 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM · · · ·
Steven Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

Is there any place I can find an accurate list of head coaches & their schools?

I know coaches move around a lot, but whenI have to send out information it sure would be nice to know who is where .

March 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Files are back now.  On the home page, on the right side is the list of the last 5 uploaded along with a link for all files.  New organization and taging system, hopefully easier to find documents.

Thanks,

DJ

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

September 5, 2011 at 12:37 AM · · · ·
Ryan Ricard
m_2656.jpg

Is this still the place for forum bugs?

I'm getting a yellow screen of death when I attempt to update my avatar. I've tried a couple different images. Let me know if you need a detailed repro. 

October 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Quote: Ryan Ricard

Is this still the place for forum bugs?

I'm getting a yellow screen of death when I attempt to update my avatar. I've tried a couple different images. Let me know if you need a detailed repro. 

Good catch.  Fixed it.

DJ

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

October 16, 2011 at 11:21 PM · · · ·
Steven+Fetzik
m_2199.jpg

How about a like/dislike or agree/disagree buttons?

That way people can acknowledge my greatness without having to write something.

<<LIKE>>

April 23, 2012 at 2:40 PM · · · ·
DJ+Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

I have added a new page that lists all of the head coaches and programs/sections they are assigned to.  Please let me know if you see an error:

http://mdta.org/membership-essentials/head-coach-program-list/

You must be logged into the site in order to see this page.  You can find the list under Membership Essentials.  There is also a list of all MDTA members as well.

Thanks,

DJ

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

November 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM · · · ·
Peter Nikolai
m_2634.jpg

Can we get a like button?  

November 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

A few things might have changed.  Let me know if I really broke anything serious.

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

December 2, 2013 at 1:08 AM · · · ·
Peter Gokey

I'm looking for a way to like Pete's comment.

December 4, 2013 at 12:59 PM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

LOL - it's coming. Redesign was first on my list.

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

December 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM · · · ·
Rohan Sadagopal
m_2640.jpg

Is there a way to get to old threads in the new format?

December 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM · · · ·
DJ Brynteson
m_1778.jpg

Just click on General Discussion on the right hand side for now. I'll make it easier here in the near future...

DJ Brynteson
Crazy Ideas No One Likes

December 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM · · · ·

New Forums - What to add...
Info
70 Posts
22 Voices
Started on 1/2/2008 by DJ Brynteson
Last Post on 12/5/2013

Social Media